It’s not so much a matter of what you can do, but what you can say. Our words have power. We don’t have to tell you that your words have the power to escalate a behavioral situation because this has probably happened a time or two with your children. Yep….us too! Don’t beat yourself up. You’re not alone and you’re doing the best you can.
The good news is that our words also have the power to de-escalate behavioral situations with our children. When we know the right words to say, we can help our children re-regulate and return to calm quickly. That’s what we’re talking about in this week’s episode…
Here’s an overview of what we discuss…
- Practice thinking first. It’s crucial for us as caregivers, that before we respond, we take a step back and think through the situation at hand.
- Decide what outcome you want. Ask yourself, what do I hope happens later this evening, or tomorrow with my child. What do you envision the outcome of your response to them?
- Ask yourself some crucial questions about your words. “Will my words hurt or harm?” “If I say what I’m thinking right now, what will the outcome be with my child?”
- Ask yourself, ‘Will my words move us forward or hinder our forward motion?’
- Ask yourself, ‘Will my words shame or connect?’
- What tone will you use? Your tone can be the difference between behaviors escalating and helping your child return to a place of calm.
- Create scripts. When you have the right words to say to your child, it can change everything.
- Apologize when you get it wrong! When we seek our child’s forgiveness it teaches them how to seek other’s forgiveness.
Also on the show…
- The Insight Virtual Conference is OPEN for registration! Click Here to save your spot. *SPACE IS LIMITED!
- Behavior Management Scripts! We’ve created a free resource that will help you find the right words to say to your child when he or she is misbehaving. Click Here to access now!
Thanks for stopping by this week!