It’s possible that because of your child’s trauma history, and the impact that has had on his or her brain, they simply can’t follow simple guidelines, or adhere to boundaries. Hard to believe, but it’s true. (For more on this, read our latest blog post here)
From the episode…
We need to ask ourselves what is really going on when our child disrespects or disregards boundaries.
- Is this a sensory input need or avoidance?
- Is this a disruption in executive functioning abilities?
- Is this a lack of inhibition (self control)?
- Is this a lack of social awareness (the child simply can’t put themselves in another person’s shoes)?
We need to guide our children….
- We must repeatedly say, “Please don’t….”
We must ask ourselves, “What is the outcome we were hoping for?”
- Avoid shaming
- Avoid lecturing
- Walk with the child, not over the child.
Also on the show…
- FREE Download: Trauma Knowledge 101: get our latest video guide and PDF worksheet to help you gain a simple understanding of trauma, disrupted attachment, and how to respond differently to your child. Click Here!
Thanks for stopping by this week!