When we adopted our first daughter, Jaala, her birth mother chose a closed adoption. We also know many adoptive families who have chosen this route. In today’s interview, Jaala shares her perspective on closed adoptions.
We understand why birth families and adoptive families choose a closed adoption. For Jaala, her birth mother wanted her to have the best life possible. We are eternally grateful to her for making this amazing decision. But over the past decade of our adoption journey, we have formed great relationships with several of our other children’s birth families and the benefits are many.
We have become big fans of open adoptions. In fact, over the past year we have taught thousands of people how to form healthy relationships with their children’s birth families.
We love Jaala’s perspective. She has a very healthy view of this topic. The content she shares in today’s interview is insightful and encouraging to birth parents, adoptive families, and most importantly, fellow adoptees.
Listen to the podcast.
Notes and Quotes from the show.
Our daughter Jaala did an amazing job sharing the realities of closed adoption. Here are a few take-aways she shared during our interview…
[shareable]It’s hard to have a closed adoption because you have lots of questions that are unanswered.[/shareable]
In talking about the decision to have a closed adoption or an open adoption, Jaala shared this…
[shareable]It’s a good idea to leave your options open.[/shareable]
We loved her take on finding your identity and where the source for your identity comes from…
[shareable]Your identity is who you are constantly surrounded by.[/shareable]
As promised in the show, here are the links to upcoming events that we will be a part of…
- The Spokane Orphan Summit– Registration is just about to open!
- CAFO Summit– You get to hang out in sunny Orlando Florida! What could be better?
- The Jasper County Foster Parent Appreciation Dinner– If you’re in the Oronogo or Joplin, Missouri area, join us for this special event!
Resources and Links.
Here are a few adoption resources we mentioned during the show…
- Adoption Support Center– This is the agency we adopted Jaala through in Indianapolis. We love these people and can’t say enough about the amazing work they do for families!
- Bethany Christian Services– This is another great agency that has locations all over the country. We know many people who have adopted through Bethany and had great experiences.
- AdoptUSKids.org– We love this site. They provide so many great resources for pre and post-adoptive families, and professionals.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of The Honestly Speaking Parenting Podcast. If you have missed any episodes, you can catch up by clicking here. If you have questions for Jaala feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
We hope you will join us next week as we kick off a brand new season, Season 3, with all new topics and interviews!
[reminder]What are your thoughts and feelings when it comes to a closed adoption verses open adoption? Share your answer with us in the comment section.[/reminder]